12 things not to be missed in Zakynthos
You will not be able to see all that Zakynthos has to offer in one trip, but we can suggest the best places to visit and experience.
- Discover the charm of Zakynthos, the capital of the island. Built in Mediterranean style with strong Venetian influences, the city of Zante is located on the eastern coast of the island, at the foot of the Bohali Hill. Having a population of about 30,000 residents, Zante is the largest city in Zakynthos and an important cultural, political and economic center.
- Look for the famous Caretta – Caretta turtles and remotely observe their habits. Turkeys can weigh up to 180 kg and lay their eggs in the sand that is said to be the finest in Greece.
- Take a boat tour around the island to see the impressive coastline and breathtaking views.
- Don’t miss the unique sunset on the island of Keri.
- Spend unforgettable nights in Laganas!
- Learn the Windsurfing art in the animated Alykes Resort.
- Try snorkeling or diving near the cost of the island and you will be surrounded by a rich variety of marine plants and animals, from tiny fish and aquatic snails to giant turtles and astounding crabs.
- Buy a bell, to feel like a true local and relax by walking the beads through your fingers.
- Have a Greek coffee beside a bougatsa, sweet pudding over which powder and cinnamon sprinkle.
- Another attraction of the island is the Navagio beach, accessible only by the sea. Besides the dreamy image offered by nature, it is the wreck of the Scottish ship Panagiotis, failed on the shore in 1980. No one knows exactly how this ship arrived on the beach, though the legends did not delay to appear. Built in Scotland in 1937, the ship changed its name several times over time, ending up to become Panagiotis, the famous ship of cigarette smugglers and Italian mobsters. Some voices say the ship failed during a track with the Greek coastguard ships, after which the crew disappeared without a trace. Another version of the story claims the ship was submerged near the coast by the same coastguard, the waves then thrown on the shore. The least romantic story, says that the Greek tourism minister of the 1980s ordered that the wreck be driven to this beach to attract as many tourists as possible.
- Do not miss a unique party on Cameo Island in Laganas.
- Visit the island of Kefalonia, the largest island on the Ionian Sea, and discover unique landscapes and wildlife of breathtaking beauty.
Things to do in Zante
Zante Town – is the capital of the island and the main city here. The city has a bohemian atmosphere, given by the rich vegetation, the neoclassical buildings and the beauty of the cliff, which is mainly the sunset, is the main promenade for tourists and locals. In the center of the city is the imposing church of St. Dionysius. In the city you can choose to visit: Byzantine Art Museum, Solomos Museum, Venetian Castle, also known as Kastro, Naval Museum.
Bochali Hill – here are the ruins of the Venetian fortress and here you can have a beautiful panorama over the city of Zante. The area is a real magnet for tourists where there are several chic terraces and restaurants.
Peninsula Vassilikos – is a particularly picturesque area, located in the southeastern part of Zakynthos. All the beaches are sandy and have clear and shallow water, ideal for children. Here you can also dive, because of the water’s clearness and the plenty of fish.
Blue Caves – in the northern part of Zakynthos Island and to the east of Cape Skinari, Blue Caves are one of the most popular and advertised attractions of the island. you can visit them with your own boat or with one of the many organized tours. The water is spectacular!
Cap Skinari – at the northern end of the island, Cap Skinari offers breathtaking views of the calm waters of the sea. Here you can visit the famous blue caves, white cliffs and some ruins left after the great earthquake of 1953.
Cameo Island – Laganas – a trip to Cameo is a fantastic experience if you spend your holiday in Zakynthos. A miniature paradise, linked to Agios Sostis through a rustic wooden bridge, Cameo Island appears to be like a dream.
Cameo is one of the most beautiful islands on the island of Zakynthos, being certainly the most scenic point of Laganas Bay. The island will charm you with its pine groves with paths and terraces surrounded by greenery, where you can admire the sea, and the island Marathonissi (Turtle Island) which is seen in the distance.
Solomos Museum – here are the tombs of Dionysios Solomos and Andreas Kalvos, as well as the historical and cultural relocations of the island.
Navagio Beach – This is where the Smugglers Wreck is located and the location is one of the most popular attractions on the island. The beach that the ship failed in 1982 is one of a great beauty, located in a spectacular landscape, and the wreck on the beach is one of the most photographed pictures in Greece. The beach can be reached by sea and pictures can be taken from a platform located 183 m above the beach.
The island of Marathonisi – this island has the shape of a turtle and is located in the bay of Laganas. She has preserved his natural beauty over time because of the fact that she was not inhabited. There are 2 beaches on the island: one with fine sand where you can meet, with some luck, a Caretta- Caretta turtle, and a smaller gravel where you can find some interesting caves.
The Byzantine Museum – Opened to the public in 1960, the museum was built after the 1953 earthquake and organized according to the plans of academician Manolis Hadzakis. The museum is located in Solomon Square and houses an impressive collection of icons, as well as numerous paintings of religious themes dating back to the post-Byzantine period. Also in the museum is a model of Zakynthos, as it appears in the mid-twentieth century, performed by artist Yanni Manesi between 1972-1986.
Dionysos Solomos Museum – Reconstructed in 1957, the museum that bears the name of Greece’s national poet, is, in fact, a true museum of literature in Zakynthos. Here are buried the poets Dionysos Solomos and Andreas Kalvos, whose manuscripts are kept in one of the rooms. The museum also houses a number of personal and manuscript objects of other important figures of the Zakynthos culture.
When it comes to fun, surely Zakynthos is the most suitable choice. From water sports to parties and international music, tourists have many options for entertainment. In any part of the island you can enjoy surfing, water skiing or parasailing, and fishing lovers can choose one of Skinari, Alykes or Marathonissi resorts. For those who are looking for fun we recommend Laganas with the most intense nightlife. Here you can find a wide range of clubs and discos with parties that keep up to the sunrise.