• Chat with us
  • +44(0)20 86660407
Plivtice in Winter

The Weather in Croatia in March

By <a>{authorName}</a> on {date} in Things to do, Where to stay,

Despite what some travellers may think, there are some great advantages to holidaying out of season. With this in mind, you may be wondering what to do in Croatia in March.  Witness some of nature’s greatest spectacles at the national parks without peering above someone’s shoulder. Immerse yourself in a guided tour – which won’t […]

Despite what some travellers may think, there are some great advantages to holidaying out of season. With this in mind, you may be wondering what to do in Croatia in March.

Witness some of nature's greatest spectacles at the national parks without peering above someone’s shoulder. Immerse yourself in a guided tour – which won’t have a peak summer fee – and be transported back in time onto the cobbled streets of Dubrovnik without crowds of tourists. Even better, you can have the exclusivity of Croatia in a more-than-pleasant moderate to mild climate as March offers the first glimpse of the Croatian springtime.

If March sounds like your perfect month to get away, here's a guide to what’s on the horizon for the weather in Croatia in March, and how you can build a fun itinerary in the milder spring climate.

placeholder photo

Beach In Dalmatia In Winter

The Temperature in Croatia in March

The weather in Croatia in March can feel rather mild, with temperatures seeing highs of 15°C, and lows of 8°C. To escape the colder temperatures, avoid staying inland (closer to the north) as these areas feel slightly cooler than the southern Dalmatia region.

Sitting at 14°C, seawater temperatures are too cold for a leisurely swim without thermal protection. We wouldn't recommend taking the plunge unless you’re considering taking up cold-water swimming!

Weather Conditions in Croatia in March

Fresh and mild characterise the Croatian climate in March. It is generally overcast, with glimpses of the early spring sun shining through.

Typically, it rains 7-11 days of the month in March, with spells of light drizzle on the days inbetween. However, there is a 49% chance of a largely sunny day and a 51% chance of a mixture of sunshine and clouds – pretty strong odds for an off-season month.

On average, Croatia in March sees 12 hours of daylight, with 5 of these hours being sun-filled. The UV index for this time of years sits at a 4, indicating a moderate risk to unprotected sun exposure. Travellers shouldn’t be fooled by the slight chill in the air, and should be mindful of wearing sunglasses and sun-cream where necessary.

Something in the air shifts mid-March; spirits and the sunshine rise alongside the blooming landscapes, officially welcoming Spring. Mid–March is highly recommended for those wanting to embark on an adventure holiday and make the most of the many hikes and trails the stunning Croatian landscape has to offer.

placeholder photo

Waterfalls at Krka National Park

The Best Ways to Enjoy the Weather in Croatia in March

Visit the National Park Waterfalls

Croatia in March is the perfect time to witness one of nature’s most beautiful spectacles. The warmth from the early spring sun breathes life into the famous Croatian waterfalls, melting the snow and ice off the mountains, causing a cascading waterfall.

Taking a firm place on UNESCO’s World Heritage list, Plitvice Lakes National Park epitomises natural beauty and tranquillity. A colour palette of deep, rich and earthy greens, blues and browns paint the exceptionally beautiful site, which is made up of 16 terrace lakes, breathtaking waterfalls, limestone canyons, wooden bridges and rural paths.

Escape into the depths of the park on one of the many walkways and hiking trails, or climb one of the majestic canyons to see an unobstructed view of the waterfalls, all of which offer an abundance of resplendent natural surroundings. This is a must-visit place in Croatia to treat your eyes and really experience Croatia’s true beauty, even out of season.

Explore Dubrovnik in Peace

Dubrovnik is one of the most vibrant cities in Croatia. Famous for its rustic old-town limestone walls and buildings built in the 15th century, it is one of the best preserved mediaeval cities in the world, home to architectures such as Gothic churches, Renaissance Sponza Palace and St. Blaise church.

During peak season, you frequently have cruise ships of tourists coming on and off the island multiple times each day, and if you’re wanting to cross borders wait times can be up to two hours. The biggest advantage to travelling out of season is that you miss the hordes of tourists that could otherwise restrict how much of the magical town of Dubrovnik you get to explore.

Travelling in March gives you the VIP experience to explore landmarks at ease, or envisage yourself in the shoes of your favourite character and take a walk through Kings Landing in a much more private tour of the famous Game of Thrones set.

One thing to bear in mind is that planning is key when visiting Croatia in March. There are certain tour operators, ferry schedules, attractions and restaurants/hotels that may be operating under reduced hours or closed, so it is super important you plan in advance to optimise your holiday’s itinerary.

placeholder photo

Old City Dubrovnik

What To Wear For The Weather in Croatia in March

Croatia weather in March definitely requires a few extra layers compared to the summer seasons. During the day, usual spring attire such as jeans, trousers, tops and sweaters should be worn. As the day goes on and the temperature drops a few degrees, it is advisable to take warmer layers such as a cardigan, fleeces, scarves and waterproof jackets in-case you get caught in the rain.

If you’re planning on immersing yourself in nature during your visit to Croatia in March, appropriate hiking boots would be a good addition to your case too.

Where To Stay When Visiting Croatia in March

Villa Simunka is a lovely 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom villa which sleeps up to 8 guests. It has some fabulous amenities ideal for a family holiday such as a private swimming pool, a gazebo with an outdoor kitchen and dining area, and a lawn perfect for children.

For a Croatian getaway in March, a good location is imperative. The beautiful city of Dubrovnik sits very nearby at only 10 km away and the pebble beaches of Mlini and Srebeno are only a stones’ throw away, so you have everything in a convenient location to make the most out of your tourist-free trip.

placeholder photo

View from Mount Srd


For a holiday which indulges in the natural splendours of the country, Croatia in March is the perfect time to visit. You can take your time to explore famous attractions with very limited tourists, all in the midst of a blooming spring landscape. As long as you are prepared for what the weather could potentially bring, you can most definitely very comfortably explore the versatile coastline during the off-peak season.

Interested in a March break to Croatia? Our team at My Villa Breaks is ready and waiting to help you plan your next springtime excursion at your favourite European holiday hotspot. Get in touch now and start making your plans a reality!

Get in touch

Have a question? Want to know more? Email or call: [email protected]

My Villa Breaks values and respects your privacy. For more information, read the Privacy Policy.

About Us

A superb collection of villas and apartments in Croatia and Greece, supported by a very knowledgeable team.

Working hours:
Monday to Friday: 09:00 – 17:30
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

PO Box 3294

placeholder photo

Blog  | Booking Conditions  |  Booking Procedure  |  Health & Safety & Foreign Office Advice
© Copyright 2022. All rights reserved. Powered by Rentivo